Today, DESS members can find a new video montage in the Goodies Room.
But all visitors to the website can watch Take The A Train from the movie Reveille With Beverly (above).
The montage in the Goodies Room includes the following:
1. The Perfume Suite – A short film by George Pal from 1946, described in detail by Klaus Stratemann in his book Duke Ellington Day by Day and Film by Film.
2. “Rehearsal” in Paris during the band’s summer tour in Europe in of 1950. This is an extremely rare footoge. It is possible to identify a number of sidemen that did not stay with the orchestra very long, for example Ernie Royal (brother of Marshall Royal, the Basie lead alto), Alva McCain, Nelson Williams and others. The first 10-15 seconds you will hear the sound only.
3. A short presentation of Such Sweet Thunder by Ellington and actor Tyrone Power from Oct 13 1957. The second part of this is a medley of “popular hits”.
4. El Viti played by Cat Anderson from Teatro Lirico in Milan Jan. 30 1966
5. Ed Sullivan Show, March 7, 1965. Ella Fitzgerald sings Do Nothin’ Till You Hear From Me
6. Ellington visits the Dean Martin Show on June 26, 1966 and plays the piano